Monday, October 1, 2007

Characteristics of Kinkos.

Have you every realized that all persons at Kinko's talks to themselves? No, seriously. I think its an unstated law: thou must go to Kinkos, break a machine or two, demand immediately attention and talk to yourself. A big contributer to this situation is that everyone at Kinkos has a problem. Again, I am being serious. Because if you didn't have a problem- like unemployment, an out of ink printer, or broken copier you wouldn't be at Kinko's. You'd be in your office, or home printing, copying and talking to coworkers. But your not because you have a problem, so your at Kinkos. Most people at Kinkos, like myself suffer from the first ailment- unemployment. Or, as many prefer to call it "starting a business". (FYI- if you have not business plan and are at Kinkos copying frayed newspaper articles, you are unemployed, not "starting a business). On that note, I was privileged to hear an actual conversation between two people at Kinkos the other day (this being as opposed to the more popular alternative of the one sided conversation). The incident went something like this:

Disorganized, disheveled man busts in to Kinko's heads for the first copier and turns to a the women next to him. "I know you don't work here, but do you know how to work this thing?"
Woman: "Yes, what are you trying to do?"
Man: "I have to copy this for my business" ("this" of course being a frayed newspaper article).
Woman instructs him, and three copies are made.
Man: "Now, how do I laminate this?"
Woman: "Why do you need to laminate it?"
Man: "To look professional. You see, I have a business and I need to look professional"
Woman: "What kind of business do you run?"
Man: "A cell phone business. You see all these companies, they be ripping people off. I have a business where I tell people use verizon, t moble and figure it out for them"
(Me- is this a traveling cell phone store?)
Woman: "So why do you need to laminate the article for the business?"
Man: "See, this article is about the cell companies be ripping people off"
Woman: "Well, if you show that article you should have the date and name of the paper"
Man, concurring, "good point"
The exchange continues, with her explaining that she too has a business, a marketing one and would love to help him. Can she make an appointment to call him?
"Leave a message at my day job. Right now, I don't have a cell phone".

2 comments:

BradyDale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mintghost said...

LOL