Sunday, November 18, 2007

Where are all the recycling bins?

So, I ate at my favorite organic, vegan restaurant and immediately felt comforted by its a pseudo-Portland vibe. I consumed a delicious vegan lasagna full of vegetables, flavor and tomatoes- what could be better? Then came do or die time- the moment at which it is revealed if the store/restaurant/cafe truly espouses the philosophy it promulgates. It was time to through out the trash.

Let me rewind a bit and state preemptively that I did not request a plastic container, or asked if I intended to eat in or out, but was simply handed my delicious lasagna (see above) in a plastic container. Put that thought on hold. So, I walked to the trash and was shocked to find this store, which places such a huge emphasis on wholesome, vegan foods, and general health to lack a visible recycling receptacle. Confused, I approached the counter and asked where to recycle my plastic container.

"We don't have recycling" the girl told me, "you must put it in the rubbish. We should, I know, but there are many things we need to work on," she continued "like more space." Surprised, disappointed but at least engaged in conversation I returned to the initial offense, the one that would have obliterated the problem from the get go: "Why aren't there plates for orders to stay?" I asked, intrigued by the paucity of environmental awareness. "Why, she asked?" I then explained how, unlike more space which would require a bigger store, but or hiring a recycling company, which commercial enterprises must do and can be expensive for small business, buying biodegradable plates and utilize would not require a loan, and almost eliminate the need to hire a recycling company, because plastic objects would no longer be consumed on the premises. In fact, according the the NYC government website, all NYC businesses are required to recycle. The link below will give you a way to report business that do not recycle and make this city a better one.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nycwasteless/html/recycling/recycling_businesses.shtml

No comments: