Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Water Pipes

My road is totally ripped up. Big, grinding saws, the type I hated in NYC, are now greeting me in the morning and night. All of this is very good. My neighborhood is getting new water pipes. Best of all, because of various reasons, the workers are literally working until 10pm at night to get it done. Fast. The project is going much faster than any project in NYC. For some reason, the road is not blocked off, another benefit. The all to familiar habit of construction workers of placing the orange cones so far down the road that one can't even see the work for miles, is non-existent here. People simple drive all the way up the street, see the enormous CAT, giant mount of dirt and must figure out how to turn around. Luckily, they are used to it.

Placing water pipes is the first step to bringing in clean water from the mountains for people to drink. Now, I only hope that the new buildings hook into it.

2 comments:

BradyDale said...

The sad part tho is that in many cases much of waste water can be treated and used on site for the same price. It's always disappointing to me when the developing world has a chance to start off at a better place than we did, because we didn't have a way to know better, but doesn't.
Oh well... still, overall, sanitation is a good thing and I've no doubt that this is something that would make you're time there much better.

Traveling Solo said...

Thanks Brady! Thanks for commenting. I know it is disappointing. When I brought up the idea of reusing water I was told that we need to start here first. Unfortunately, I am the lowest person on the totem pole so I didn't get much traction