Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ouch

Typhoid, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B.
Cell Phone, Language Lesson and Rules- lots of them.

I woke up to a great Mediterranean breakfast (TONS of tomatoes, cukes, and feta- my favorite). After breakfast, we got a full does of rules, regulations and policy from our American and Albanian administrators. Basically, stuff we already now (no public drunkenness, ask permission to leave your site) and some rules we didn't know- like no driving or traveling at nightfun stuf. Then we learned the fun stuff: our money situation, vacation days, that we accrue a traveling allowance, should use cash, will visit our both our sites and current volunteer's sites during Pre-Service Training (PST) and will meet our counter parties in Tirana. Unexpected and exciting point along PST.

Most importantly for these new days, we learned the exchange rate. Specifically, that at about 102 to $1 Leke are a much better deal for those using dollars now than the 70 to $1 exchange rate of a few years ago. However, some people use old Leke (the currency that was phased out 40 years ago) so we make sure we are paying with new Leke.

In the afternoon, we were served tons of food and had an amazing language lesson that was total immersion- we started in Shqip and continued in Shqip- and really reminded me of Ulpans. It was during this lesson, in which I was learning greetings, numbers and other useful things, that I left to get all shot up. The good news is that I wasn't the worst patient!

My arm barely hurts, I managed to get my cell activated and, after talking with the Chief, had a great dinner (albeit with the same cake from lunch).

Tomorrow, I am being taken by the doctor (the same one that shot me up) to get glasses in the morning. In the afternoon, I have my interview with the community development director.
I'm really looking forward to hearing more about what I'll be doing for the next 2 years, learning more about the Community Organization and Development (COD) program in Albania and telling the COD director about myself.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

testing

Unknown said...

Hello Molly! this is Dani - but I'm, pretending to be Josh cause I don't have a gmail account. WOW!! the pictures of the mountains look amazing - I'll have to bring my skis when I visit!! I told all my students about you. For my 7th and 8th grade yoga class the students have to do an hour of yoga karma and I told then you're doing 2 years of karma - kindness to others. Perhaps my students can be penpals to the kids at your homestay -if they have kids?? I will be showing my students pictures of Albania!
Although we've always lived far away, I miss you A LOT more now . . I am SOOO inspired and proud of you. You're there . . you're fulfilling your dream. Way to Go!! It is challenging, I'm sure; but truly, it is the challenges in life that are the most fulfilling life adventures. You are so strong.
I love you!!!

Unknown said...

SO EXCITING!
DO YOU HAVE A MAILING ADDRESS?