Friday, March 20, 2009

Disco!

So many places to be and things to see, all so interesting and new it's hard to know where to start. I woke up to a great hotel breakfast (as usual) which I enjoyed at a ridiculously leisure pace as my scheduled walk was quickly unscheduled when I woke up to the rainy storm. The storm not took out the road from Tirana so our morning session with the Tirana people (Country Director for Albania PC, Financial Manager for PC Albania etc) was moved to the afternoon and our program sessions moved from the afternoon to right after breakfast. Why on earth should I care about the order of your meetings, Molly, your probably wondering. I'll get to that, because it actually affected only me, but first I'll tell you about the meetings I was so excited to have. Finally, we got to learn about our program from the Albanians. I sat at the front table now a reflexive habit to cope with my blindness and listened intently to the COD information session. As we were getting to the good stuff- what type of tasks, job and responsibilities we were going to be expected to take on with what type of organization- I was whisked off in a white Land Rover to the optometrist. Though I was really disappointed to miss the rest of the session, Jan- the assistant CD- assured me I could get a copy of the cd to look over. (They are now going "green" which means they do more powerpoints).

Adri the driver and Anka the medical assistant made sure I was on time and not wet, even if it meant pulling over on an already narrow street. The optometrist, however, was not on our schedule. After waiting for about 25 minutes. she finally showed up and gave me an eye exam that couldn't be beat. With the help of Anka I narrowed my frame choices down to a few plastic ones and then finally decided on an orange pair after Adri parked, came inside and convinced me they both looked great and would help me fit it (Color, Anka also noted, is very in). So, with my new orange glasses being made, I went back to the hotel, had my lunch and continued the highly scheduled and enjoyable Bridge to PST (The name for the 4 days between landing in Albania and heading off to our host families).

At 2:40 sharp I had my interview with the COD people. I was so excited to finally have my interview that I kept tripping over my words. Also, I also hadn't slept well the night before due to my shots but that's my usual sabotage. To these three highly educated and knowledgeable women I explained my resume. I went over what a LEED AP is (very interesting and impressive they said) my work in planning and interests in zoning, housing, transportation, sanitation and environmental issues. When asked about my other interested outside my expertise area, I explained my interest in helping small businesses achieve their potential. We talked for a bit about rural vs. urban COD work and they explained to me how the Bashkia (municipality) works, the Albanian law passed 2-weeks ago requiring cities to develop an over all sanitation plan, and the struggles about working in a country whose property laws are really confusing. I asked if they knew my placement already, to which I was told no. Puzzled, they explained that they have more open spots for PCVs then PCVS expecting that each COD PCVs unique experience will fit into the one of many slots that they have unearthed for us. I was really satisfied with the meeting and feel confident that though I might not get the precise placement I want, I will get an interesting one.

After my interview I was whisked off again by Adri in the Land Rover to pick up and get fitted for the orange glasses, but alas, the store was closed to siesta. (Because I am American I had siesta explained to me). Disappointed I went back to the hotel but quickly forgot about my plight when I learned how to say I want an orange, apple, tomato (domate) and soup. The last term becoming increasingly important in this late March as the rain turned into snow and the air got colder by the minute.
Language class was followed by a Volunteer Advisory Council (VAC) session. The VAC consists of 3 volunteers from each program (COD, Health, Education) from each year currently in Albania. The 6 VAC members spoke with us on a number of issues and seemed to be really enjoying their time in Albania.


Emerging from the VAC meeting, I was met by Miri Luca and my orange glasses! Newly able to see, I marched around recognizing people across the room. Bored of that and overwhelmed by having my sight back, I went to my room to rest for a bit find the floor flooded. Not only had the window in my room leaked, but the storage room under the hotel seemed to have a wet spot only where my suitcase was. After lugging my ridiculously heavy suitcase up the stairs, I pulled out my few sopping wet articles of clothing and hung them around the warmish room. Luckily my mother had bought extra plastic travel bags for me on Sunday with Charlotte's advice so only a few items were drenched. Only 20 hours till I leave for my HF, I thought, I hope they dry!


Back in the dining room, I ate another meal of cucumbers, tomatoes and feta, and then, very predictably (it was on the schedule) descended down the stairs to the disco for some Albanian circle dancing.I was promised it would be fun and was not disappointed. The drivers, teachers, volunteers, assistants, and directors all danced together- the American's trying hard to emulate the Albanian footwork.


Once I realized I was hopeless I left. I joined the VAC members and the other volunteers that had gathered upstairs and had what would be my last beer in Albania for a very long time

No comments: