Friday, July 30, 2010

Stamping and Bills Take Two

Determined not to let my failure to bring my little book prevent me from fulfilling my duties as a citizen to pay my electric and water bills, I attempted to pay once again. This time, however, I was armed. I brought all of my previous bills for the water and electricity and not one but two little books to be stamped. Loaded with bills and books I proudly stepped up into the Post Office, up to the counter and attempted to pay. After much grumbling on her part due to a bit of confusion about the precise amount owed, some manual addition, I was able to pay. The calculator on the counter being the only electronic devise in the office save for a very large brand new flat screen plasma tv advertising the Albanian postal service.


I then attempted the impossible: I tried to also pay my water bill. I was sent to the regional office. No go. The fourth woman I asked there did, however, know where I could pay it. She directed me down the market to a window. Again, armed with my little water book and bill I stepped up and tried to pay. No go. This window, which is steps from the post office where I proudly pay my electric bills is not the office for your neighborhood. For that you must go to the Mosque and ask around. Actually, she said, the water office is near where you pay the electricity. Hmm.. I thought but I pay my electricity here.

Off to the Mosque I went. I asked multiple civic minded women where to pay the water but was unsuccessful. Finally, a man in a tourist office was able to tell me where to pay my electricity. Well, that is a start I thought. So I headed off to the electricity office. I stepped inside and was directed down the road to the next electricity office. Getting warmer I thought. Outside the next electricity payment office, I saw a women with a little book and bill in her hand. Bingo I thought. This woman pays her bill and knows where to go. I asked, and sure enough she knew exactly where I needed to go to pay the water- the office behind the second electricity office.

I paid the water, but was unable to find out why I don't have water now. I might not push my luck.

No comments: