Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Raki Finally

The down side of giving Rina computer lessons is that I have far less time to blog. I’m hoping that with my project finishing soon and the days getting longer I’ll have enough time for both in the very near future. So, though I’m behind on blogging and work Rina’s familiarity and comfort level with the computer has skyrocketed, which couldn’t make me happier. Additionally, today she told me that her brother who is currently in Italy has a car and will drive her to Vlore when he comes home! How great is that? I’m really happy she wants to visit.

This morning I had Practicum- which basically means that we decide which of the businesses, markets, ngos and/or offices we should visit to gain a deeper understanding of the workings of the village or city. Since my village is really small we don’t have NGOs or many businesses. Hence, the practicum is a bit of a challenge. Today, we spend the day interviewing the café owners and our new friend the vet.

Before practicum I taught Rina how to make an egg white omelet. My house mother had slept in Kavaje so it was still just Rina and I this morning. We were able to sleep late (7:30) and then cook ourselves. Or rather, I was able to cook (now, a treat). Rina watched me the entire time so she could learn. Then she cooked laquer, the meal she messed up last night. It was, as promised, delicious today.

Because we had practicum this morning, I was able to run home for lunch and had it while it was hot. While I was eating, I told her that she had to teach me how to cook it because a) it is soo good and b)I only know how to cook American foods which won’t help me if the ingredient are not readily available here (like salmon, tofu or broccoli). She said ok, but only if you teach me how to cook American food. I said of course. Tomorrow, I will make her an omelet.

Rina has been really motivated to work out with me and I think that she is starting to really enjoy working out. When I got home tonight she told me she had worked out for 1 hour by herself, very impressive. When I came here she thought I was crazy for working out at all. I would have to beg her to try it. Now, she is working out by herself and trying to eat healthily. I knew she enjoyed the exercise ball I brought (It’s basically hers by now), but I didn’t realize how much she works out without me.

While Rina was on my laptop practicing typing I built hand weights with rocks, duct tape and small water bottles. I really hope it works. I need to start lifting to truly be Fit to Strip. I also ordered some resistance bands and a Pilates mat on the internet (People: I am going to be living by the beach for the next 2 years. I’m arriving in the summer. I really like eating, especially when new foods are involved. Wouldn’t you be working out if you were me?)

When I was outside attempting to photograph the sunset, which I should know by now is almost always fruitless, my HM grabbed me, took me out back and showed me what she had done today: planted grape vines. I was really impressed with them and told her so. She insisted that I take a picture of them, so I took too. They are absolutely beautiful but the pictures spectacularly fail to do the trees justice.
During dinner, I was speaking with Rina and told her that though I had been in Albania for over 1 month because there are only women in the house I had not yet had Raki. Raki, the 22-proof homemade grain alcohol known by some as fire water, is offered to men regularly if not daily. Men will also frequently start off their day with a coffee and shot of Raki in the café. Though I’ve been in Albania for only 5 weeks, I already had the misfortunate of sitting next to more than one man who reeked of Raki on the furgon. Rina asked if I wanted Raki right then and there. I refused it, explaining that I just meant in the general scheme of things I’d like to try it. I assumed it would be a huge hassle to obtain it as I had yet to see it in the house and did not want to inconvenience them. She insisted. She told me that Gjusha makes and has it. Of course. I should have known. By then, the Raki, housed in a coke bottle, was already on the table and I was being poured a dainty glass of it. There not kidding when they call it fire water, but it’s worth it. I drank it all.

No comments: