Monday, April 20, 2009

Homeless Albi

Today I finally had a bad meal. This actually an accomplishment when you live in a country in which you love the food and a house with superior cooks. However, tonight Rina didn’t put enough water in the Laker (laquer) so there was flour beneath the top later. By flour I mean the powder that you buy in the store. The problem was that the top was a deceivingly delicious looking crusty layer- neatly concealing the power directly beneath it. But that was just one problem. The salad, which I had made, was bad as well. Because the lighting was bad where I made the salad I had put in plenty of bad or more accurately rotting pieces of lettuce.

That meal was just one of the many anomalies of the day. I went running outside which I never do and am starting to really enjoy. There are many obstacles to it. Some of my own making, such as losing a sneaker in Elbasan, a deep seeded hatred of running outside, an inability to pace myself and a self fulfilling prophecy that I am bad at running outside (I mean, what is so difficult about putting your feet in front of each other a bit faster? C’mon!). Then there are the inherent problems with running outside such as you don’t know how long you have run, you don’t have TVs like in the gym, you don’t have the super motivating calorie counter as in YES! I ran off that chocolate croissant only 280 calories until the cappuccino is gone... there goes the gelato! And, lastly, you might run so far and get so tired you can’t get back (ok- that kind of out there). Then there are the specific obstacles to running in a small village in Albania- the muddy roads filled with rocks, stray dogs, chickens, mud puddles, stares and people who try to converse with you while you run (How are you? Where are you going? And my favorite: What are you doing?). Despite all this, I have developed an affinity for running. It really is a great stress reliever and, in case you haven’t guessed, Equinox Fitness with its multiple HDTV doesn’t exactly exist here.

So, today after I ran with Kristine, I did plates with Kacey to stretch out. Then I did Fit to Strip with Rina who had generously bought me a marshmallow chocolate after the pesach craving.

The rest of the day was an anomaly in and of itself. During class Kristine was informed that she could not keep Albi at her house. In fact, her HM had hit him pretty hard while Kristine was outside and then called our home stay coordinator to kick him out. 4 month old Albi could no longer sleep outside near the sheep guts, chicken or donkey. Kristine was pretty upset as were others as it’s hard for most Americans to hatte a puppy. So, we spent the rest of the day trying to find Albi a home. To do this, we had to get him vaccinated first. Our langague teacher acopmained us to ease the language barrier. After Kacey’s family refused him, we had 2 options left: Katie and my house. Katie’s house was a better bet as they have a few pigs, a cow and 4 children. My house only has chickens and a garden. We all went to Katie’s house carrying the cardboard boxes that would become Albi’s home and Albi. Her HM was not home but her Gjusha was and after a few minutes she agreed that the puppy could sleep outside. Excellent! Albi has a hosue.

After his house got settled in under the porch, Kristine took him to meet my family. My HM wasn’t home because she had gone home to Kavaje to celebrate the engagement of her 22 year old brother to a 17 year old girl. I found Gjusha and Rina hanging out outside. They loved Albi! Couldn’t get enough. Gjusha even invited him to live inside the house. She showed Kristine her dog (which I had completely forgotten she had) and kept playing with him. At first, I didn’t think I was hearing Gjusha correctly, so I asked again “Inside? Are you sure?” and she said yes. Then I realized what was happening. Gjusha, I said, what would mammie think if she came home and there was a dog living inside her house. At this point, Rina and Gjusha started rolling on the floor laughing. Gjusha is a joker!

Because my HM was in Kavaje Rina cooked dinner instead of my host mother. After wandering around with Albi, running and working out, it was a pretty nice to have a mellow night. Dinner was Gjusha, Rina and me. Gjusha didn’t seem to mind the flour laker and ate most of it. In fact, I should say she ate all of it. Rina and I wanted nothing to do with the raw flour, though I did attempt to eat the rotting lettuce. I was promised by Rina that she would make the Laker again tomorrow and do a good job. I’m excited. It is full of spinach, onions and corn meal. When made correctly it will be delicious.

No comments: