Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Benji's Arrival

Ben arrived today. Unfortunately I had to get my hair done at the same time. Your probably saying or at least thinking I didn't "have" to get my hair done at the same time, but really I did. I waited three weeks for this women and this was the only slot she had- any women would empathize. I should also point out that this trip was planned before the flight was booked.
So he arrived, found my at the underground hair salon and we went home to pack up. A very unfortunate duty to have to undertake considering it was costing me a valuable good hair day. Thankfully, I packed up the remainders of my apartment in time for us to thoroughly enjoy happy hour. For those unlucky few who have yet to experience happy hour in Portland- let me say four o'clock, $3 drinks and cheap food.

We started off at a bar which made its own tonic and sake sangeria- how yummy. Unfortunately, they had no food or beer on tap, the later being insulting in the microbrew capital of the country. Our search for beer landed us at a bar near 14th street where we grabbed a few bitter micro-brews and drunkenly debated the appropriate percentage of hops with our neighbors. Having temporarily satiated our need for microbrew and faced with rumbling stomachs and the end of happy hour, we went to the odd Bento place that shuts too early and looks like a gas station. There my brother was given free bento food (don't ask any questions- that's my official vegetarian summation) solving two problems in one- hunger and cost. We then found ourselves in the Northwest area, where I dared my brother to ring the doorbell of an acquaintance. Well, of course he did it- throughly amusing me. Her, not so much. So then we had to proceed. Food being my object thought ninety percent of the time, I steered us to the gelatto place, where we indulged in Portland's best. Next, of course, was more beer. This was my brother's first night here. We stopped at the ubiquitous and quintessential Portland favorite- McMenamins. Friends met us there, and we had a great time enjoy the offerings of 23rd Avenue. With the urging of the tired waitress we then headed to the hotel we were entertained and had an otherwise boring descention into sleep.

No comments: