Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Spamtown USA!

Yes- you read the title right I am in Austin, Minnesota the official Home of Spam and the spam museum.
I finally busted ass and drove eight hours solely because I was tired of everyone asking "You're still in South Dakota?" Its a big state people! Look at a map- what are you all Ms. South Carolina?
Anyway- before I took off, I thoroughly enjoyed Hot Springs South Dakota all morning. I went to the post office where lost mail was retrieved by the postal clerk and then refused by the main who asked her to find it, ate a delicious veggie omelet, browsed at the organic store, and enjoyed the hot spring (which is not so hot, more than a bit run down and populated by four retirees and me). The hot spring, I should mention is indoors, costs ten dollars (which for South Dakota is a small house) and has slides which require mats for no obvious reason. One might assume they are needed for hygienic purposes, however, this reason is negated by the sheer fact that when paying for my entrance fee I was given the option to rent either a towel, bathing suit or both. Gross.
Hot Springs the town is neither gross nor run down. It has been around for over 100 years and boasts the beautiful red sandstone buildings including a large, well kept quite V.A. facility. Let me tell you, when I come back as a vet I am hopping on the first plane to Hot Springs and receiving all my services there. I aint never going to that shaaady facility on east 23rd street with leaks and sirens everywhere.
Before wrapping up my trip in hot springs I should mention that I passed the county jail on my walk back from the hot spring. Outside the jail, along Main Street, is an enclosed basketball court not notable itself except for the bizarre spectacle it creates for the occasional pedestrian. What is notable is that as I walked by court/jail and snapped shots of the historic sand stone building behind it, I was shouted at by the four men playing ball and got mooned. Yes- you read right I got mooned. Jason an inmate at the Fall River County Jail., who was playing ball with four others, cavorted with the others to make up a name and get my attention. He then turned around and... One should note that according to city-data.com there are only 18 people in the Fall River County Jail. Therefore, counting the two women I saw playing ball earlier while I was on my way to the springs I saw a full 1/3 of the counties' inmates and a full 1/18 of all the inmates asses.
After thoroughly enjoying the mooning, sand stone buildings and omelet of Hot Springs, I realized by the repetitive cry of "You're still in South Dakota??" that it was time to leave. (Have I mentioned by hatred for cell phones?) On my way out I managed to stop and grab a few rock shots at the mammoth site for my new brother in law as the sign unambiguously stated that the site is a "geologists dream."
On the road I had my longest and most productive drive yet stopping only to get gas, eat TCBY at Burger King and eat a salad at subway - which, btw has pizza, who knew?
Now, I will go to sleep with fond thoughts of Wisconson cheese filling my mind.

1 comment:

BradyDale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.