Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sporadicness is the only consistency (I know that's not a word)

Spotty electricity and water have finally made things really difficult. Until now, I was able to circumvent, create solutions, and use the shower at the gym (ever so smart, they have their own very large generator and huge water tank). I simply waited for the sound- the cruk uhk ogh- of the pipes opening, tanks filling to know that I had that hour or so in which to do my dishes, fill my bottles and hopefully squeeze in a shower.
However, getting anything done - whether it be at home or work- is quite challenging. My counterpart, the head of the office, had to actually leave today to go to an internet cafe because there were emails to write and no electricity to be found. We're discussing sharing a generator with the organization next door. We haven't been able to sit down and have a lengthy discussion in days due to constraints of figuring out how to work around when electricity shows up.
Electricity has already eaten my computer and several hard drives. In fact, I think I'm going to end now as I think suspect I hear the sound of water.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you mean it ate your computer? And just to clarify you do get water for one hour per day? Is is the whole country or just your city -- it seems wierd, because the summer there is more people and more of a stress on the system.

Traveling Solo said...

My computer flashes and is basically inoperable- more on that later.

As for the water, as far as I can tell it seems to be confined to my neighborhood. At first, yes, I got water 1 hour a day but there was no telling when and with about 25 apartments in the building sharing that one tank it was hard to get it.
Now, however, I don't get any water at all. None.